Scott E. GwartneyPartner Attorney
Scott E. Gwartney is a magna cum laude graduate of Liberty University and a 1991 graduate of the Florida State University College of Law. He joined the firm in 2002 and became a partner in 2003 after working with renowned trial lawyer, Ken Connor, the first attorney to successfully submit a nursing home case in the state of Florida. The Connor & Gwartney firm eventually joined the Tampa-based nursing home litigation firm of Wilkes & McHugh and started their Tallahassee office where Mr. Gwartney practiced until he joined Brooks, LeBoeuf, Bennett & Foster.
Mr. Gwartney passionately believes that our senior citizens deserve no less respect and level of dignity than that which is afforded to any other segment of our society. The results of Mr. Gwartney’s experience and efforts on behalf of the elderly speaks volumes about his expertise and dedication. His work on behalf of his clients has led to numerous verdicts and settlements of $1 million or more across three states.
Along with other colleagues at Brooks, LeBoeuf, Bennett, Foster & Gwartney, he has been recognized in Florida as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers, a Super Lawyer in the top 5%, and a Legal Elite in the top 2%. He is frequently called upon by his peers to share his knowledge about nursing home litigation and medical malpractice and is very active in all courts in Florida and Georgia. He is also licensed to practice law in Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
Mr. Gwartney is active in his church and community and serves on boards of directors for several charitable organizations in the Tallahassee area including Courage Through Cancer, Lighthouse Children’s Home, and A Doctor’s Heart. He is a strong believer in faith, family, and community and enjoys spending time with his wife, Cathy, and their three children. He is also an avid fan of FSU athletics.
- Liberty University, Bachelor's Degree in Political Science and Human Resource Management Magna Cum Laude (1985)
- Florida State University College of Law, Juris Doctor (1991)
- Florida Bar (all courts), 1991
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1991
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida, 1992
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1992
- State Bar of Georgia, 1992
- United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia, 1993
- Court of Appeals, State of Georgia 1993
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 1993
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1995
- State Bar of Tennessee, 2001
- State Bar of Texas, 2001
- United States District Court, Nothern District of Georgia, 2002
- Virginia State Bar, 2016
Awards & Accolades
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- Florida Super Lawyers, Law & Politics
- "AV" Peer review rated, Martindale-Hubble
- Legal Elite, Florida Trend
- Best Attorneys in America, Rue Ratings
- Premier 100 trial attorney, National Academy of Juris Prudence
- Rated 10.0 by AVVO - the highest possible rating