Is your elder loved one in a nursing home during the COVID-19 pandemic? If so, the isolation has probably been very hard on them, and you. With the promise of widespread distribution of the vaccine on the horizon, we can all be hopeful that our seniors will not have to be isolated for much longer. Until enough of our population is vaccinated and the number of cases drops low enough, however, we will likely continue to keep our nursing homes locked down as much as possible. These lockdowns can make it difficult, if not impossible, to visit your loved one in person. In order to help make sure that your loved one is being well cared for during this time, you should call them as soon as possible and ask them these seven questions:
1. Has anyone tested positive for COVID-19 and, if so, what are the protocols for quarantining, contact tracing, and testing?
2. Have the nursing home staff members been vaccinated?
3. How is the nursing home minimizing the risk of exposure to COVID-19? Are visitors prohibited or limited? Is the nursing home making sure masks are worn and social distancing is in place? Are high-touch surfaces being frequently sanitized?
4. Are the residents and staff members adhering to the protocols in place?
5. Are wellness and social programs still being offered in a safe manner? You may want to make sure your loved one is not being completely isolated and is able to engage with other residents and staff safely.
6. How is the nursing home ensuring that residents stay connected with loved ones?
7. Do you know that there are attorneys and other professionals who can investigate and raise complaints if there is any safety or wellness concern? You may want to make sure your loved one knows that there are a variety of professionals who will advocate on his or her behalf if necessary.
Our experienced team of local attorneys is here to answer your questions. We know local experience matters! For more information, please reach out to our office. You may call, chat, or contact us at any time. Put our team to work for you!